3/28/2026

Luodong Forestry Culture Garden

My wife and I took the train from Taipei to Luodong last Monday. The Luodong Forestry Culture Garden ( 羅東林業文化園區) is about a ten-minute walk from the station. A logging community at the base of Taiping Mountain (太平山) was established, according to a guide, 31 years before 1945. 



There is a traditional home on exhibit, with a kitchen, bedroom, cooking utensils and information. The employees normally ate yams with a dash of rice -- rice was considered a treat. Once a month, fish and sake were distributed by the Japanese bosses. The Luodong Forestry Culture Garden opened up during the Japanese colonial era (1895 - 1945). A train station opened in 1926 for tourists. There used to be a gondola. I am not sure it still exists. 



I got a kick out of this exhibit. I imagine they were running out of stuff to display. Then a museum organizer noticed this yellow truck parked on the road. "Hey!" he shouted. "Drive that thing over here." They slapped a plaque at the front of it (below).



There is a night market within walking distance of the Luodong Forestry Garden. Google Maps has the open time at 15.00 daily. Not exactly. 


The Hope of Salt Spring Island

Dock at Ganges, Salt Spring Island I came back to Vancouver last Thursday to, amongst other things, watch the World Cup of soccer. Vancouver...