2/05/2023

Capybara Taiwan

My family rented a car and we drove out to Greater Yilan two Mondays ago. We stayed at the Lakeshore Hotel Suao, a five-star hotel with adjoining hotspring and coldspring tubs in the room. 

I recommend getting a car for Yilan as public transportation in northeastern Taiwan is sparse. The drive is fine, excluding the last tunnel coming in (13.9 kilometers tong). By the end of the tunnel, I was tense. Driving through long tunnels hypnotizes me in the same way driving on a snowy night does. We stopped at at the Yilan Zhangmei Grandma's Farm before we left Yilan because my daughter wanted to check out capybaras. Capybaras are the world's largest rodent and come from South America. Bill Peet modeled the wumps of his classic 1970 children's book Wump World after the capybara. 




No comments:

Tropic of Cancer Taiwan

  The Provincial Highway 9 Ruishui Marker (above) marks the Tropic of Cancer, 23.5 degrees on the northern latitude, in Taiwan. The spot was...